VII International Conference
Società di Didattica delle Lingue e Linguistica Educativa – Language Teaching and Educational Linguistics Association
University of Pisa
Centro Congressi Benedettine, Piazza S. Paolo a Ripa D’Arno, 16
21-22 May 2020
Language education and assessment:
society, school, university
Call for papers
Assessment is a process of evaluation with different purposes and features that is extensively used in both lower and higher education, as well as in society in general. It plays a crucial role in language education, involving learners, teachers, authors of teaching materials, certification centres, language policy makers, and all those working in the domain of language teaching. Reflection upon the relationship between language education and assessment, on its complexity and multifaceted nature is nowadays essential in the Italian context, in consideration of the links to international contexts where the discussion about assessment has a longstanding tradition, including in teacher training. This conference will provide the opportunity to reflect on and discuss several themes: assessment models, language assessment, assessment of teaching skills and teaching materials, and the opportunities offered by new technologies, to name but a few. The conference will tackle assessment also with respect to its impact in different educational contexts, such as schools and universities as well as in society.
Because of the multifarious nature of assessment as a research domain, the conference will offer the opportunity to take stock of the progress made on this topic in language teaching and to present the wide range of perspectives and tools found in Educational Linguistics, which places the latter at the forefront of translational practices and of the creation of synergies between linguistic and educational sciences.
We welcome proposals on the following themes:
- assessment and its models
- assessment of competence in Italian L1 and L2, foreign and L2 languages, minority languages
- interlanguage, errors and grammars and their impact on assessment
- assessing at school level and at university level
- assessment in language proficiency certification tests
- plurilingualism and plurilingual assessment
- assessment and new technologies
- corpora for assessment
- assessment of foreign language teaching competence
- assessment of teaching materials and of syllabi
- Language Assessment Literacy
- Language sciences and other research fields in assessment theories and practices
- ethics and assessment
- assessment in translation
- assessment of mediation skills/competences
- assessment in CLIL
- assessment of students with special needs (BES, DSA, gifted students, handicap)
- assessment and neuroscience
- research on language data and assessment
- intercultural communication and assessment
The conference will include invited talks by plenary speakers, presentations and posters. Presentations will be allocated 20 minutes + 10 minutes for discussion. Posters will be presented in a specific session and will remain on display for the entire duration of the conference.
Abstracts should be no more than 2000 characters with spaces, not including references (max. 10). The deadline for abstract submission is 31 October 2019.
Abstracts should be submitted to http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/dille2020
In .doc format specifying the relevant conference theme(s). Please use the appropriate template.
All abstracts will be submitted to a double-blind review process.
Important: do not indicate author name(s) and affiliation(s) on the abstract file.
The proposed abstracts will be evaluated by the Scientific Committee according to the following criteria:
- relevance to the conference theme(s)
- relevance and innovation of ideas
- appropriate theoretical background and references
- clearly articulated aims and methodological approach and e structure of the proposal (aims, etc.)
Conference languages will be: Italian, English, French, Spanish.
– abstract submission deadline: October 31, 2019
– notification of acceptance: February 29, 2020
– confirmation of participation by selected presenters: March 20, 2020
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conference website: http://dille2020.fileli.unipi.it/